Galaxy Zoo at the European Week of Astronomy and Space Science
The Galaxy Zoo science team is well represented this week at the annual European Week of Astronomy and Space Science, hosted this year at the Pope’s University (or more properly Pontifica Universita Laternase) in Rome, Italy.
It is a beautiful location for a conference
with the most amazingly decorated lecture theatre I’ve ever been in
and just up the road from the Colluseum
A session on the first day on the Structure of Galactic Discs perhaps explains the interest of many of us on the Galaxy Zoo team. I spoke in that session on my recent results looking at bars and the atomic gas content of nearby galaxies.
Brooke Simmons (now settling in as a new postdoc at Oxford after finishing her PhD at Yale recently) had a poster on some work I’m sure you’ll hear about soon about some very interesting totally bulge free disc galaxies which still have actively growing supermassive black holes in their centres.
And Portsmouth PhD student, Tom Melvin (who is working with me) had a poster on his work using Galaxy Zoo: Hubble data to look at the redshift evolution of the bar fraction (more on that very soon too I hope).
Finally, talking in the session on interacting galaxies which runs tomorrow will be Kevin Casteels from Barcelona (who we all must congratulate on his very recent PhD) who has been working mostly with Steven Bamford on morphological signatures of closely interacting pairs of galaxies (arxiv link to paper, a blog post has been promised).
We all had a lovely (and typically late Italian) dinner together on Monday night – along with a Galaxy Zoo baby: Alia (Kevin’s daughter).
About karenlmastersAstronomer at Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation, University of Portsmouth. Project Scientist for Galaxy Zoo. Also member of Sloan Digital Sky Survey, Dark Energy Survey and Euclid.
- RT @NGC3314: Very fruitful science visit with @VanderbiltU astronomers. Surprise: met one of the translators of @galaxyzoo into Simplified … 17 hours ago
- Our science team are dominating the @RoyalAstroSoc press today! @vrooje and @KarenLMasters ras.org.uk/news-and-press… ras.org.uk/news-and-press… 1 day ago
- RT @RoyalAstroSoc: Galaxies settled down 2 billion years earlier than we thought... New MNRAS paper by @vrooje ras.org.uk/news-and-press… 1 day ago
- RT @NGC3314: Today: talking w @VanderbiltU astronomers, speaking on @galaxyzoo AGN clouds. 40 years ago, I was this guy on campus: http://t… 1 day ago
- RT @kevinschawinski: Reminder: we're looking for a postdoc for the @ETH black hole group! Deadline 1 Nov jobregister.aas.org/job_view?JobID… 1 day ago