Over the next few weeks, some of you may see messages (like the one in the image above) while classifying on Galaxy Zoo. We are testing out a new messaging system. These messages should not appear frequently and, if you do see one, you will be able to opt-out of seeing any subsequent messages. In the unlikely event that you do see more than one of these messages during your classification session, you can let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for your understanding, and please continue your vital efforts at www.galaxyzoo.org
UPDATE: The messaging experiment was ended in November 2017. To read about the results of the test and what we plan to do in the future, read this blog post https://blog.galaxyzoo.org/2018/07/12/galaxy-zoo-messaging-experiment-results/.
Dr Grant Miller
Department of Computer Science
The initially stated aim of this experiment was to test a new messaging system on Galaxy Zoo. However, the actual aim also involved testing the content and timing of these messages in order to measure their effect on volunteer participation. The experiment was titled ‘Alleviating disengagement in Zooniverse‘ and was performed in collaboration with researchers at Ben Gurion University and Microsoft Research. Volunteers were not explicitly told the purpose of these messages at the time as this would have affected the experiment results. You can read more about our planned procedure for future similar experiments in this Zooniverse blog post https://blog.zooniverse.org/2018/07/25/experiments-on-the-zooniverse/. If you have any concerns or complaints about this study, please contact Grant Miller using the contact details above.
About The ZooniverseOnline citizen science projects. The Zooniverse is doing real science online,.
- RT @NGC3314: @spacetelelive @galaxyzoo It's so big, this is an entire ACS CCD. This display does not do justice to all the detail the data… 1 week ago
- Check out this blog post by @tompeterken presenting his results based on Galaxy Zoo and Galaxy Zoo: 3D data -… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- Science team Telecon this morning. We’re discussing bars quenching star formation, the cool images coming out of Zo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 months ago
- RT @cardiffPHYSX: The latest #PythagAstro podcast sees @chrisenorth and @zemogle discuss a slowly-rotating Sun (as recorded by the Moon), c… 3 months ago
- We've launched the brand-new mobile version of Galaxy Zoo! Find it under the "Space" section on the Zooniverse app.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 months ago