Galaxy Zoo at the European Week of Astronomy and Space Science
The Galaxy Zoo science team is well represented this week at the annual European Week of Astronomy and Space Science, hosted this year at the Pope’s University (or more properly Pontifica Universita Laternase) in Rome, Italy.
It is a beautiful location for a conference
with the most amazingly decorated lecture theatre I’ve ever been in
and just up the road from the Colluseum
A session on the first day on the Structure of Galactic Discs perhaps explains the interest of many of us on the Galaxy Zoo team. I spoke in that session on my recent results looking at bars and the atomic gas content of nearby galaxies.
Brooke Simmons (now settling in as a new postdoc at Oxford after finishing her PhD at Yale recently) had a poster on some work I’m sure you’ll hear about soon about some very interesting totally bulge free disc galaxies which still have actively growing supermassive black holes in their centres.
And Portsmouth PhD student, Tom Melvin (who is working with me) had a poster on his work using Galaxy Zoo: Hubble data to look at the redshift evolution of the bar fraction (more on that very soon too I hope).
Finally, talking in the session on interacting galaxies which runs tomorrow will be Kevin Casteels from Barcelona (who we all must congratulate on his very recent PhD) who has been working mostly with Steven Bamford on morphological signatures of closely interacting pairs of galaxies (arxiv link to paper, a blog post has been promised).
We all had a lovely (and typically late Italian) dinner together on Monday night – along with a Galaxy Zoo baby: Alia (Kevin’s daughter).
About karenlmastersAstronomer at Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation, University of Portsmouth. Project Scientist for Galaxy Zoo. Also member of Sloan Digital Sky Survey, Dark Energy Survey and Euclid.
- This is awesome. Excited to see the results of tactile galaxy sorting. #tactileuniverse twitter.com/tactileunivers… 1 month ago
- Our very own Sugata Kaviraj is now speaking at #RASUniverse about the effect of minor mergers. 1 month ago
- RT @KarenLMasters: @Summer_Ash @galaxyzoo oooooo. Nice. :) #aas229 https://t.co/dbZ5vqugSJ 1 month ago
- RT @Summer_Ash: @KarenLMasters @galaxyzoo did you flip it over…? :) 1 month ago
- RT @KarenLMasters: I need the Hubble sequence necklace from "Lost in Space Jewelry". @galaxyzoo #aas229 https://t.co/JowYU8RWJW 1 month ago